April 6, 2011

A Box of Matches And A Front End Loader aka Gardening With The Farmer

I have been thinking a lot about the garden at The New House.  At present it is quite run down and the current water supply is on the brackish side.  With that in mind, I have been trying to be realistic and concentrate on cleaning up and planning.

At some point in the past, it was obviously stunning.  It is still attractive, with beautiful mature trees and gorgeous dry stone walls that meander here and there.  The Farmchildren call it "The Adventure Garden" and can't wait to move in.  At present, when I look at one portion of it, I can't get the song Welcome To The Jungle out of my head.  Given that Guns n Roses isn't quite what I had in mind for gardening inspiration, I think something might have to be done.

Jungle Drums

The Farmer isn't helping matters.  I told him of my unwanted Guns n Roses theme.  He then put Axl and the boys on the ute radio full bore, and parked it near offending garden, while I was sitting there having a quiet cup of tea and a ponder...

After much perusing of magazines and gardening books I have decided to go for more of a cottage feel.  At present I am nowhere near the planting stage.  More at the ripping out dead plants stage.

This is where The Farmer is in his element.  I have long joked that his favourite gardening tools are a front end loader and a box of matches.

On the weekend I was carting some rocks into some garden beds that our builder has suggested I remove, because they are contributing to a damp problem in some of the walls.  After several wheel barrow loads of rocks, I was getting a bit weary.  The Farmer decided to come to my aid.  He had a large loader down at the sheds and came merrily trundling up the hill to the house in it.

This was his technique to fill my wheel barrow.

Pouring In The Rocks

Waiting For The Dust To Settle

Very Full Load

While the filling technique smacked of overkill it was, at the very least, effective.  Unfortunately I was unable to push such a full wheel barrow and had to tip some out.  Oh well.

The Farmer then got stuck in with the chain saw and we removed lots of dead branches.  One whole dead tree will need to go, but apparently we need a chain and one of the tractors for that....  There will be lots of debris that we will burn over the next few weeks.  I am aiming for a complete tidy up by the time we move in, so we can move onto the creative phase. (At present we are very much in the deconstruction phase).

It's exciting though.  While the existing garden is an odd combination of overgrown and half dead, the bones are good.  There is lots to work with.

9 comments:

G said...

That's what we need!!! Am just about to go and move MORE rocks to form a new edge. Take lots of before pics... looking forward to the afters. gxo

Fiona said...

Machinery has always played a very important role in any of my gardening endeavours.
We have rather brackish water too, my only advice, roses hate it.

Sydney Shop Girl said...

The Farmer is a man after by own heart... if you've got it, why not use it?

SSG xxx

Sydney Shop Girl blog

Penny's Portraits said...

Omg so funny! I nearly spat water all over my keyboard seeing the photo of the loader filling the wheel barrow.
Exciting plans about the garden though. I can't wait till we have our own little house and garden to redesign.
Hope it goes well.

thatblogyoudo said...

He he he this one made me giggle, at least the barrow held up (aaahhh they just dont make em like they used too) i wonder how the plastic bunnings number i would stand up to this kind of use..

Andrea said...

It's a shame you can't get an industrial muncher to chip the dead tree and give you some good mulch...

p.s love the um...wheelbarrow filling technique!

Kakka said...

Can't wait to see photos of the finished project. Gotta love a man with a front end loader. xxx

Sarah said...

Laughed out aloud. Well done Farmer Man.

Unknown said...

Sounds like my husband. Job worth doing if it can be done by heavy machinery. We just pulled out some shrubs with a ute and a chain....actually think they may have gone out of the ground with a bit of a pull!